RSS icon Bullet (black)
  • The First Six Months

    Posted on May 30th, 2010 Mike No comments

    Postworld went live on November 23, 2009, which means that it’s now a bit over six months old. I suppose that’s enough of a milestone to take some stock of what it’s meant both to me as your host, and to you as my guests. For me, this blog has been an outlet for me to both learn and educate, and I very much enjoy doing both. I learn from your comments and from the research that I do to fact check the things I write about here, and I hope I educate by sharing that newfound knowledge with all of you in at least a mildly entertaining manner. All of us have our own unique perspectives that we develop through our personal experiences in work and in life, and if there’s one thing that the Web and blogs allow us to do, it’s to share those perspectives and enlighten ourselves and each other in the process. Hopefully Postworld has helped to do that for you, I know it has for me.

    Some interesting facts about the first six months of Postworld:

    To date, there have been over 6400 visits, with over 10,000 page views. 52% of those visits have been “direct,” with the remaining 48% through referrals on other sites (thank you to those, in particular Mike Curtis on Pro Video Coalition) and via search engines, with Google by far the most significant.

    54% of visitors are using Safari as their browser. Firefox represents another 31%, Chrome about 7% (and growing), and the rest are using a combination of Internet Explorer, Opera, and various versions of Mozilla. There are also a few visitors using Blackberry’s browser.

    38% of visitors are using cable modems, with another 31% using DSL. Only 1% are using dialup connections.

    There have been almost 250 visits via mobile devices, with the iPhone being the most widely used (211 of those 250). There have also been visits via Android phones (33), iPod Touch (22), Blackberry, Palm OS devices, and even 9 on the iPad.

    Nearly 75% of all visits have come from Macintosh users, with 91% of those being on either OS X 10.6 or 10.5 on Intel based Macs. Another 20% have been on Windows machines, with the remainder being on a combination of Linux and various mobile OS’s as mentioned above.

    Worldwide, there have been visits to Postworld from 79 different countries and territories. The vast majority have been from the United States (over 4000), but there have been over 2000 visits from other countries and regions, which is very gratifying to me personally and very indicative of the global community the Internet has spawned. Of those foreign visitors, the largest numbers have come from Canada (over 400), the United Kingdom (almost 300), Australia (over 260), and Germany (almost 150). Others that are well represented include New Zealand, India, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, the Netherlands, Sweden, Brazil, China, France, and Italy. In the last 2 months or so, the largest number of foreign visitors has come from Australia, with Canada and the United Kingdom close behind. I find that particularly pleasing because I have some very vivid and fond memories of a visit to Australia as a visual effects supervisor about 10 years ago, and it remains one of my very favorite places in the world.

    One of the most popular pages on Postworld has been and remains the Production Formats – Current Shows page. I must confess that I have not updated that list in quite some time, so it is not entirely accurate (although it is reasonably accurate for the most part). As the US network television production season largely begins in July, I will be updating that page with both new and returning shows in the next month or so and will announce when that has happened.

    Well, that’s about it. Six months, many thousands of visits, some great comments from many of you, and the ability to share my thoughts with others in and out of our industry around the world. I thank you all for visiting, and I hope you’ll continue to do so. I’ll do my best to try and post a bit more often than I have in the past (no promises, though…. there needs to be something to write about first!) and to try and keep up with a very fast moving industry. The next six months should prove pretty interesting…

    Leave a reply